i'm interested in your process. i'm assuming this is photoshop right? if it is do you use custom brushes or filters? for the blur did you just decrease the hardness of your brush or actually filter the layer? compositionally this is ace! and his glasses remind me of sin city... haha that adds some creepy depth to the cartographer
Haha, yeah I like doing 'creepy glasses' on things sometimes. Yeah it's Photoshop, and on this particular thing I just blurred the layer of the foreground globe thing. I use custom brushes mostly, though admittedly I don't usually bother making my own in spite being a 'do everything myself' type. I've been trying to pay attention to composition and value/light lately. Good that is shows!
thanks for the info! i'm a complete newb when it comes to digital painting but i'm very eager to get more proficient. you seem like an expert so that's why i ask just let me know if my questions get too annoying to answer haha.
This is very nice composition here, the Depth of Field with the globe adds a lot to the atmosphere. As a suggestion if you were to further develop this, his hand looks as if it may be reaching for something without losing his focus. The candles have a lot of potential to tell a story of their own. For the amount of time we spend on these, this is fantastic! His glasses are awesome..I think it might be interesting to see that sheen like appearance on a tiered monocle. Now..I cannot paint as well as you either, but I did notice something that Robert Chang mentioned in his course "becoming a better artist" from cgworkshops..if you look at the characters left arm the way the lighting is zig zagged in there..Robert Chang was a huge advocate on not using zig zags for filler in photoshop..he says that if you let your tablet's pressure sensitivity do the filler work it makes you a more proficient painter. He said he catches himself doing it alot and the more he avoids it..the better he gets. Just a suggestion from what I have heard. Wonderful work!
His left hand is holding the map steady/open, though it does look weird. These kinds of angles are tough. I use little hatch marks for specular highlights on hair and other fibrous, not-so diffuse surfaces. I have my brush size as big as needed for blocking in form, and smaller for details. I had thought of a tiered monocle but I forgot about it when I sat down do do this. It would be interesting, I think.
i'm interested in your process. i'm assuming this is photoshop right? if it is do you use custom brushes or filters? for the blur did you just decrease the hardness of your brush or actually filter the layer? compositionally this is ace! and his glasses remind me of sin city... haha that adds some creepy depth to the cartographer
ReplyDeleteHaha, yeah I like doing 'creepy glasses' on things sometimes. Yeah it's Photoshop, and on this particular thing I just blurred the layer of the foreground globe thing. I use custom brushes mostly, though admittedly I don't usually bother making my own in spite being a 'do everything myself' type. I've been trying to pay attention to composition and value/light lately. Good that is shows!
ReplyDeletethanks for the info! i'm a complete newb when it comes to digital painting but i'm very eager to get more proficient. you seem like an expert so that's why i ask just let me know if my questions get too annoying to answer haha.
ReplyDeleteThis is very nice composition here, the Depth of Field with the globe adds a lot to the atmosphere. As a suggestion if you were to further develop this, his hand looks as if it may be reaching for something without losing his focus. The candles have a lot of potential to tell a story of their own. For the amount of time we spend on these, this is fantastic! His glasses are awesome..I think it might be interesting to see that sheen like appearance on a tiered monocle. Now..I cannot paint as well as you either, but I did notice something that Robert Chang mentioned in his course "becoming a better artist" from cgworkshops..if you look at the characters left arm the way the lighting is zig zagged in there..Robert Chang was a huge advocate on not using zig zags for filler in photoshop..he says that if you let your tablet's pressure sensitivity do the filler work it makes you a more proficient painter. He said he catches himself doing it alot and the more he avoids it..the better he gets. Just a suggestion from what I have heard. Wonderful work!
ReplyDeleteI just realized those might not even be zig zags..oh well its still a good tip from RC!
ReplyDeleteHis left hand is holding the map steady/open, though it does look weird. These kinds of angles are tough. I use little hatch marks for specular highlights on hair and other fibrous, not-so diffuse surfaces. I have my brush size as big as needed for blocking in form, and smaller for details. I had thought of a tiered monocle but I forgot about it when I sat down do do this. It would be interesting, I think.
ReplyDelete